Skip to main content
This section is included in your selections.

A child sixteen (16) years or older, but less than eighteen (18) years of age, may petition the Court to be considered an emancipated minor. Determination of whether such status shall be given to the minor is to be made by the Juvenile Court. The decision shall be made by a clear and convincing standard. Evidence for the determination of emancipated status shall include, but is not limited to:

A. The real or apparent assent of his or her parent(s);

B. Demonstration of his or her independence from his or her parent(s) in matters of care, custody and earnings through employment or other means provides for his or her own food, shelter and other cost-of-living expenses;

C. Proof he or she has sole responsibility for his or her own support;

D. Proof he or she is married;

E. Proof he or she is in the military; or

F. Any other evidence the Court finds relevant to make an emancipation determination.